Careless smoker blamed for another fire, this time in Jamaica Plain

The Boston Fire Department reports a two-alarm fire that displaced eight people on Mozart Street early this morning was due to "careless disposal of a cigarette."

Firefighters responded to 49 Mozart St. around 3:20 a.m. to find heavy flames already flickering from the rear porches of the triple decker.

The fire, which started on the third-floor porch, did an estimated $400,000 damage, according to the department. No residents were injured, but one firefighter suffered a hand burn.

The fire comes 10 days after a three-alarm fire blamed on a smoker, in Egleston Square. In May, a careless smoker was accused of starting a wharf fire that did $3 million in damage.

Neighborhoods: 

Topics: 

Free tagging: 

Comments

Smokers and barbecues

By on

Two of my neighbors in adjacent building have been operating barbecues on the old wood balconies of 5-story building, and leaving the barbecues unattended. One barbecue is one of those flimsy tripod ones that could tip in a good wind gust. If there's a fire, dozens of people could be displaced.

I left a couple notes at the building's front door the other day, since I don't know which units, with printout from city site saying it was prohibited. I guess if they keep doing it, I should call the FD, who can figure out the apartment numbers and have words with them and the building management. I hope they take the hint before that.

Whoo!

By on

Whether it was this:

Two of my neighbors in adjacent building have been operating barbecues on the old wood balconies of 5-story building, and leaving the barbecues unattended. One barbecue is one of those flimsy tripod ones that could tip in a good wind gust. If there's a fire, dozens of people could be displaced.

or some idiot smoker who just carelessly tossed a cigarette on the lawn or whatever, without even bothering to put it out, first, I have to ask the following question:

How stupid can some people get? First of all, it's the height of foolhardiness and irresponsibility to not only have barbecues on the old, wooden balconies of 5-story buildings, and then leave them unattended, to boot, and secondly, if the fire was caused by a careless smoker, it's equally irresponsible of him or her to just toss a cigarette that's either lighted or still smouldering, onto the lawn. Either action presents the real possibility of a real fiasco.

Probably not,

By on

because the idea of people being accountable for their actions and behaviors is just about moot, particularly nowadays.

Especially considering

By on

that the fire could potentially burn pitbulls, or copies of West Side Story.

Tell the management company

The lobby of that building probably has a sign posted with the name and phone number of the management company. If you call the management company with your information, they could probably figure out who's doing and take some action to stop it.

Location