MassDOT is posting photos from today's emergency drill by local and regional emergency departments at the Bowdowin Blue Line stop, including this one of a robot (which got down the stairs by itself) guarding a pair of dummies.
Did the robot jump the turnstile? Were the dummies paid at union rates? Did either have their iPhones stolen? Inquiring minds want to know.
This is practice for the next time the (insert subway line here) catches fire, right? Or the next time terrorists remove the hairnets from the orange line traction motors, stranding everyone in a tunnel?
Or perhaps the ter'rists will drill holes in the crankcases of our commuter rail engines.
How much did this cost us? Why are we spending money on this shit?
When is our government going to stop screwing around with terrorism security theater, and actually GET STUFF DONE? Let's not pay any attention to the fact that the T can't maintain any of its equipment properly.
We've been lucky never to have a underground mass-casualty wreck on the MBTA (in my memory at least), but the much more modern Washington DC metro had one in June 2009 that killed nine people and injured over 75. If anything like that ever happens here, I'd like to know that our fire departments and paramedics know how to respond.
Bowdoin is an excellent place to hold such a drill, since it is closed on weekends.
Were they able to hold this drill without disrupting service on the rest of the Blue Line?
IMO instead of playing with fancy robots, they should regularly inspect every station and tunnel's emergency exits to make sure they're not blocked. A few years ago, a Boston fire official took the initiative to do this on the Orange Line, and was punished by being transferred to a desk job.
And they should clean the trash off subway tracks, to reduce the chances of a fire.
Since Bowdoin is normally closed on the weekends anyway.
As for trash fires, well, er, yeah, so this happened.
Bowdoin is closed on the weekends, but the trains still use its loop to turn around. The MBTA was running busses that weekend between Gov't Center and Maverick. I can only imagine it was because they were running this exercise.
That will come in handy.
At least dummies will be safe while riding the T.
That covers about 95% of the people I usually ride with anyways. I hope the other 5% and I can save ourselves.
Without the dummies we'll have the trains to ourselves.
there is no security.
I thought Rutger Hauer said I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die.
I RECALL THE HORRIBLE CRASH UNDERGROUND AT BACK BAY STATION, BOSTON'S FINEST DID A GREAT JOB THAT DAY.
I'M GLAD THAT MSP ARE TRAINING ON THE T NOW MAYBE THEY CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE THUGS RUNNING AMOK AT SOUTH STATION.
You are in direct violation of penal code 7-1-79...
That robot is clearly raising its arms in victory over its two victims. We're all screwed.
All your T station are belong to us!
Welcome our new robot T Overinspectors