Careless smoker starts three-alarm fire in Egleston Square that sends one firefighter to the hospital
Thick black smoke billowed across Egleston Square from a fire that quickly went to three alarms and set the rubber roof on fire at 1953 Columbus Ave. around 2:30 p.m.
The Boston Fire Department blames "careless disposal of a cigaratte" on a third-floor porch and says one firefighter is now in the hospital with chest pains. Some 12 people are now without homes.
The department estimates the cost of that cigarette at $250,000.
Egleston Liquors broke out its water for the firefighters battling the blaze in today's scorching heat, Egleston Square Main Street reports.