Heating work may be to blame for possible CO poisoning in Mattapan three decker

Boston Emergency Medical Services reports taking seven people to the hospital Wednesday afternoon after an apparent problem with a heating repair job sent high levels of carbon monoxide into the air.

Ambulances responded to 14 Woolson St., around 4:30 p.m., Boston EMS says.

The Boston Fire Department reports the seven people included one man working on the three decker's oil-fed heating system and said the gas may have gotten inside due to "possible separation of the duct work that carried the furnace gases outside.:

The Boston Fire Department reports crews shut the heating systems all all three floors of the three decker. After tests showed no further signs of carbon monoxide, the department says it's likely residents will be allowed back in.

Boston EMS adds:

CO illness symptoms include dizziness, nausea, headache and can come on quickly."Carbon Monoxide incidents can be serious. We strongly recommend having a licensed professional check your furnace, especially older homes.



    Free tagging: 

      In the Boston Store:

      With stunning photography of the city of Boston, the Boston Events Calendar highlights local sights...
      $14.99 - Learn more / Buy
      When terrorists apparently strike one of Boston's Mbta transit stations during the famed St....
      $25.99 - Learn more / Buy
      The unabridged audio version of Sebastian Junger's The Perfect Storm, read by Richard M....
      $12.13 - Learn more / Buy