Pesky generator fire forces evacuation of Allston hotel
A fire in a generator room on the second floor of the Doubletree Inn's parking garage forced the evacuation of the hotel this morning - not because of the fire itself, but because it meant the hotel lost power.
The fire, called in around 7:20, proved a bit difficult to put out because firefighters first wanted to shut off power to the generator, which they couldn't because the shut-off switch itself was on fire. The fire never threatened the hotel and no smoke entered the building, but fire officials decided to evacuate guests after power went off.
The Boston Fire Department reports MBTA buses were brought in to transport some 400 guests across the river to the Hyatt.