And here's why the fire department says grills don't belong on decks
A small propane grill on a deck sparked a one-alarm fire at 32 Fawndale Rd. in Roslindale that displaced 18 people, sent one firefighter to the hospital and made a mess of traffic on the neighborhood's busiest street.
The Boston Fire Department reports the fire, which began shortly before 6 p.m., started on a third-floor deck and quickly spread to the second floor. The department estimates damage at $175,000. A firefighter suffered a leg injury battling the blaze; the Red Cross and the Mayor's Office were called in to help residents find alternate housing.
Because of the proximity to Washington Street, that thoroughfare quickly became a traffic nightmare south of Forest Hills, with MBTA buses backed up along either side of the fire.
This was the second Boston triple decker to catch on fire today.