UPDATE: Fire officials blame "careless disposal of a cigarette" on a first-floor porch.
The Boston Fire Department reports firefighters rushed to 46 Colonial Ave. around 1:40 a.m. for a fire that eventually went to four alarms and consumed parts of each of the building's three floors - and part of the exterior of the neighboring 42 Colonial Ave.
No residents were injured, but three firefighters were sent to the hospital, one with a shoulder injury, one with an ankle injury and one with a knee injury, the department says.
The American Red Cross reports 14 people were displaced, including residents of the neighboring building. The department estimates damage to 46 Colonial at $350,0000 and to 42 Colonial at $50,000.