Grease in ducts explodes into fire at Chinese take-out place on Blue Hill Avenue; firefighters emerge safely

Firefighters open roof of Yong Hon. Photo by BFD.Firefighters open roof of Yong Hon. Photo by BFD.

The Boston Fire Department reports a two-alarm duct fire caused did an estimated $400,000 in damage to a block of stores at 772 Blue Hill Ave.

The department says the fire, reported around 2:45 a.m., was caused by a kitchen fire at Yong Hon:

Specifically the hot gases from the stove caused a fire in the ductwork that was not cleaned properly.

In addition to Yong Hon, the fire damaged a Jamaican take-out place, a convenience store and a hair salon.

The Boston Licensing Board recently rejected the take-out place's request to stay open until 2:30 a.m.

In 2007, two firefighters died battling a similar grease fire at the Tai Ho Chinese restaurant in West Roxbury.

Neighborhoods: 

Topics: 

Free tagging: 

Comments

In theory, this was impossible because

1. you need a common victualler license to operate
2. you need a certificate of insurance to get the license
3. you need to be inspected by the insurance company and/or a (now state licensed) duct cleaning company for THAT to happen.

The good news is that it's getting easier around here to figure out when someone drops the ball, who to charge the error to.

up
16

Location