Four of five suspects in the Red Line beatings that sent a man to the hospital on March 9 were arraigned yesterday on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
Among them, Kevin McCarthy (booking photo on right), about whom the Suffolk County District Attorney's office says:
McCarthy was convicted last year of taking part in the group beating of three men in the early morning hours of May 8, 2011. Suffolk prosecutors recommended three to five years in state prison followed by probation at his sentencing; a Suffolk Superior Court judge imposed two years in a house of correction with six months to serve and the balance suspended for two years. He and his co-defendants in that case shouted at the victims, "You [expletive] yuppie, you’re not from Southie" while beating them.
A fifth suspect, a 20-year-old man from South Boston, has been identified and is expected to be arraigned on March 21, the DA's office says.
The DA's office also reported that there were actually five Rhode Island teenagers - ranging in age from 14 to 18 - who sprung to the aid of a man attacked by another group of people on a Red Line train as it approached Broadway:
The ongoing investigation by MBTA Transit Police suggests that the incident was sparked by a brief exchange of words between the 40-year-old victim and the defendants' group. That led to a physical attack by the defendants on that victim. When the younger victims stepped in to break up the attack, they, too, were attacked, the evidence suggests.
The initial victim, 40, was taken to Tufts Medical Center with serious injuries, the DA's office says, adding the teens were checked by EMTs at Broadway station, but did not require hospitalization.
South Boston District Court Judge Michael Bolden declined to order additional bail for any defendant, releasing Micahel Davis of Quincy and Kristine Mullen of South Bostonon personal recognizance, Patrick Joyce of Dorchester on $400, and McCarthy on $500, the DA's office reports. Bolden did order the four to stay away from the T and not contact the victims while their cases are pending, but declined a request from prosecutors that they also refrain from drinking.
Prosecutors referred McCarthy's case to the probation department, which could seek to have his probation revoked because of the latest arrest.