Well look at this: The Cambridge Department of Public Works reports (bottom item) it's managed to get John Henry's little circular company to agree to stop befouling the city:
Due to concerns raised about unwanted deliveries, excessive deliveries and plastic bags, the company has instituted the following changes regarding their weekly advertising circular:
- All calls to 781-646-6769 to stop delivery will be immediately honored.
- Plastic bags will not be used if the weather is good.
- Deliveries will be left on private property, not public sidewalks.
- Delivery operators are now instructed to pick up any old deliveries that have not been taken in during their next delivery.
- Retrieval services will be used to pick up excess deliveries when there are complaints from the community.
- Disciplinary action will be taken against delivery operators of they fail to comply with these rules.
The news couldn't come soon enough for one Area Four resident, who sent in the above photo:
We also hate the globe direct and our hoarder neighbor lets them pile up in our foyer and front stairs. There are many that end up in the street and sidewalk. Attached is the beautiful result after cars drive over the papers.
Wonder what it would take to get Boston to demand similar treatment ...