The T is e-mailing companies with large numbers of employees who have commuter-rail zone passes today. One of those workers forwards this copy of the e-mail:
Dear MBTA Commuter Rail Zone Pass or Charlie Ticket Holder,
There is a problem with the encoding of some September monthly passes on Commuter Rail and CharlieTickets. This does not affect the CharlieCard/Link pass for the bus and subway.
What happened and to how many tickets?
The ticket manufacturer encoded and tested the magnetic stripe on 33,000 September tickets incorrectly. These tickets will NOT work at faregates or fareboxes. The pass printed on the back is correct. Only tickets sold through the corporate pass program are impacted.
How is the MBTA making things right for customers who want to use the bus and subway?
For the afternoon of Sept. 2 and morning of Sept. 3:
- The MBTA AFC Revenue office is pre-encoding CharlieCards with monthly passes to be handed off to customers. These will be distributed starting at 3 pm on Sept. 2 to the CharlieCard Store and the ticket offices at North Station, South Station and Back Bay.
- Those locations will verify that customers have one of the impacted tickets, record the serial number of the ticket, give the customer one of the pre-encoded CharlieCards and record the serial number from that CharlieCard. The customer will keep the pre-printed monthly pass for use as a flash pass and the CharlieCard for use on bus and subway.
How can commuters identify one of these tickets?
The impacted tickets are those with rounded edges and crisp/smooth printing of text on the ticket. Here is how they can be identified, when compared with other tickets:
- The black magnetic stripe on the front of the ticket is thinner than others, and there is a green bar printed just below the magnetic stripe.
- There is a watermark that says “MBTA VALID PASS” repeatedly on the back of the ticket (the side with the month printed).
- There is a serial number printed in the top right corner on the back of these tickets.
- There is no ticket number printed on the front/artwork side of the ticket.
- There is no outline printed around the orange arrow on the back of the ticket.
- A variety of pass types are issued on this media including Boat, Inner and Outer Express Bus, and Zone passes.
We will keep you posted with any updates.