So you know how the fire department's always telling you not to use a charcoal grill on a wooden porch?

Firefighters responded this morning to 807 Centre St., in Jamaica Plain, where they kept a small porch fire apparently caused by dying embers from a grill from becoming a large porch fire.



Free tagging: 



    By on

    Pick any neighborhood in the city and you will find this. It's pretty selfish. That is in the fire code for a very good reason. As you just read.

    Voting is closed. 24

    Everyone does this

    By on

    Everyone.. Everywhere.

    And folks won't stop until something bad happens to them. That's how I learned. When I lived in Porter Square, the upstairs neighbor did. Caught the deck on fire. Thankfully the FD came before it could spread to the main structure.

    Voting is closed. 23

    Grew up there....

    By on

    807 is an apartment building. No yard at all.

    I must confess to burning a hole in the porch of my cottage in Yarmouth doing the same stupid thing. The habachi fell over durning the night......

    Voting is closed. 18

    I remember looking at renting

    By on

    I remember looking at renting there and it did have a small porch in back but no yard where you could have grilled safely. (I grew up on Holbrook St)

    Voting is closed. 15

    My apartment hunting checklist

    One of the things on my checklist for whenever I'm apartment hunting is to check the decks to see if I see grills. If I do, I automatically eliminate the apartment from consideration. I don't need the tsuris.

    Voting is closed. 20


    By on

    I recently noticed the neighboring building barbecuing from a wood balcony. Then I noticed that 50% of their wood balconies had barbecues I could see.

    It's an apartment building, I think including some Section 8 units and at least one crazy old lady. I don't know anyone there, and I didn't want to introduce myself by telling them that they can't improve their overpriced dump apartment lifestyle by barbecuing in the summer. So I cowardly printed out the web page from the PD that said not to barbecue from balconies, and taped it to their front door, under the cover of darkness.

    Voting is closed. 16