The Boston Fire Department reports a fire that erupted in a recording studio at the College of Communications at 640 Commonwealth Ave. around 8:50 a.m. went to three alarms so that firefighters could limit their exposure to the toxic fumes given off by the fire.
Three BU students, a BU police officer and a Boston firefighter were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, the department says.
Firefighters knocked the fire down around 9:30 a.m. and used fans to vent the gases.
The department estimated damage at $500,000 and said the cause remains under investigation.
Green Line and bus service along Comm. Ave. was shut for about an hour due to the fire.