Mitch and Lis describe what happened after they found this hawk just sitting on the ground near the main building at the Arnold Arboretum on Monday.
It appeared to be in shock, and with the help of a man who lives alongside the Arboretum, we managed to safely put him in a box and drive him to Tufts in Grafton, MA. We were told the next morning when we called to check in that the hawk had apparently ingested a rodent that had been poisoned, and the toxins were spreading throughout his body. While it appears serious, there’s hope and possibility that he may survive, and his prognosis would’ve been better had he been taken in immediately. It seemed as though employees of the Arboretum were aware of the hawk from the get-go but were unsure of what to do; they mistakenly assumed there was nowhere they could take it on a Sunday or Monday, but a few minutes of research led us to discover that Tufts has 24-hour intake for injured pets and wildlife, and it is there that the hawk - whom we’ve named Arnold - now resides until he (hopefully) recovers. Please, if you find wildlife that appears to be in need of help, either contact the appropriate authorities, or if you can manage to capture and store it in a safe manner, do so and take it to the nearest wildlife clinic.