Mayor Walsh just announced BPS schools are closed tomorrow, but that City Hall and BPL branches will be open.
He said the city snow emergency remains in effect, so no parking on snow-emergency routes. At a 4 p.m. press conference, he didn't have a time for it to be lifted, but said it would probably be sometime tomorrow. Once it's lifted, you'll have 48 hours, legally, anyway, to save a space - except in the South End, where space saving is always declasse.
Walsh pleaded with residents who have trash pickup tomorrow (normally Tuesday pickups) to clear out a space for their barrels, rather than, oh, balancing them on a snow drift.
He added that EMS delivered a baby in Roslindale, "so we did have a snow baby delivered today," Walsh said.
The city may have to shorten the route of the weekend St. Patrick's Day parade in South Boston, due to the fact that many South Boston residents have no place to put snow but between cars. It would cost "millions and millions of dollars to clear out every corner of every street," Walsh said.
A developer has proposed replacing the Notre Dame Education Center at 200 Old Colony Ave. with a new six-story building that would include ground-floor space for the center and 55 residential units atop it.
In a letter of intent filed with the BPDA, Patrick Mahoney of Charlestown says he would provide at least 26 parking spaces, mostly in a below-ground garage served by a car elevator. The letter says the building is served by the 5, 10 and 11 bus routes and is a five-minute walk from the Andrew Square Red Line station.
Notre Dame, founded in 1992, would have 9,500 square feet of space on the ground floor deeded to it under Mahoney's proposal.
Mahoney will now follow up the letter with a more detailed set of plans. In addition to BPDA approval, Mahoney would need variances from the Board of Appeals, in part because the building sits in a manufacturing zone.
Emmanuel Callwood, 34, was sentenced to 8 to 10 years in state prison today following his conviction on charges he stabbed a man in the lobby of the victim's apartment building,, then took his keys and dragged him up and down a hallway trying the keys to find his apartment, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted Callwood, a Roxbury resident, on Friday on charges of home invasion and armed robbery and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, the DA's office reports.
According to the DA's office, Callwood was in the lobby when the victim entered his Island View Place apartment building in the Harbor Point development in Dorchester on March 29, 2015.
The man stabbed the victim with a knife and robbed him in the building’s foyer. The man then dragged the victim down the hallway while using the victim’s keys to attempt to open apartment doors until finding the victim’s unit, prosecutors said.
Once inside the apartment, the armed intruder forced a second victim who was present in the apartment to fill a bag of valuables and electronics. During the course of the home invasion, the victims fought against the intruder and both suffered stab wounds; one victim retrieved a kitchen knife in self-defense. The assailant was cut during the altercation before fleeing.
Boston Police responded to the scene and collected evidence, including the knife with the intruder’s blood on the blade. Boston Police criminalists produced a DNA profile from the blood evidence and entered that profile into the Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS. In June 2016, the DNA profile was matched to that of Callwood, who had been required to submit a DNA sample as the result of a prior felony conviction.
Domingo Tizol, a member of MS-13's Chelsea-based Enfermos Criminales Salvatrucha "clique" was sentenced today to 10 years in federal prison for his role in a punching and knife attack on a member of the rival 18th Street Gang in 2015 in Chelsea.
Tizol, 23 and a Guatemalan national, faces deportation at the end of his sentence, the US Attorney's office in Boston reports.
Tizol pleaded guilty in September to RICO charges that he beat the rival gang member on Bellingham Street in May, 2015. Fellow clique member Bryan Galicia-Barillas has pleaded guilty to shooting the man during the attack - which the victim survived - and is awaiting sentencing for his role in this and two other failed murders and his role in providing the gun used to murder an innocent woman in 2014.