Vanyaland reports the Citi Performing Arts Center, which runs the Wang and Shubert Theatres, is becoming the Boch Center, thanks to money from the car dealer, stepping up to replace the money from CitiBank, which gave up on supporting the arts in Boston when it gave up on Boston.
Two men who checked into the W Hotel Thursday night left bags full of crystal meth behind after one was transported to a nearby hospital for a suspected overdose and then after he returned both were kicked out, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports. Read more.
An irate citizen filed a complaint at 2:23 a.m. today about the intersection of Boylston and Tremont streets:
Street is closed - my uber driver just informed me that Boston closes the street every weekend to allow people to leave the bars! Frankly, I can't believe this. As a tax paying resident I think it's entirely inappropriate to deny residents access to their neighborhoods to allow people to leave a bar. Boston needs to come up with a new solution that doesn't inconvenience residents.
A night out on the town for four Tufts freshmen in April ended with one dead on the ground next to a Theater District garage. Now the club that let them reserve a table and share bottles of champagne and vodka has been hit with suspensions lasting more than a year for that and two other incidents involving underage drinkers. Read more.
Tantric India Bistro in the Transportation Building has shut its doors forever, after serving up Indian food for 12 years.
Our heartfelt thanks for your past dining visits over the years, and your many kind and complimentary words and encouragement, and we wish you the very best in your journeys.
H/t Arturo Gossage.
The Herald reports how Chef Jason Santos always gets his man.
The Herald reports a Suffolk Superior Court jury found the companies that owned and managed the Radisson Hotel in the Theatre District (now the Revere) shared blame for a woman's rape in its garage in 2009 because they should have bolstered security more after an earlier rape there. The jury awarded her $6.6 million with interest.
The BRA board today approved a plan for a 23-story "microhotel" at the corner of Tremont and Stuart streets that will have 346 rooms of just 175 square feet apiece.
The proposed Marriott Moxy Hotel will rise on what is a small BRA-owned lot now used solely for large advertising banners. Read more.
Bijou owner George Aboujaoude says he is "very grateful" Boston Police quickly showed up outside his club early on May 17 - without that, a melee that ended with ten arrests, three guns seized and one officer in the hospital could have turned out far worse.
But at a Boston Licensing Board hearing on the incident this morning, Aboujaoude and club attorney Karen Simao said they're taking several steps to try to keep gang members - whom police blame for a good part of the roving brawl and all three of the guns - out of the club. Read more.
Stanley Staco reports somebody in a car fired shots into the crowds milling around Tremont Street after the clubs closed, around 2:50 a.m.
Police initially did not find the victim; he turned up about an hour later when he showed up at his home in Mattapan.
Peter Castillo, 31, of Salem, was arraigned today on a charge of first-degree murder for the death of Stephen Perez, Jr. on April 28, 2012 in a Tremont Street parking lot, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports.
The US Marshals Service has added Peter Castillo, wanted for the shooting death of Stephen Perez on Tremont Street on April 28, 2012, to its 15-most-wanted list of fugitives - and says it is offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to his capture.
Police say Castillo shot Perez, an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan, in the back during a brawl around 2 a.m., then fled to New York and from there to the Dominican Republic.
The security director at Royale, 279 Tremont St., acknowledged today that even after he learned a woman said she had been groped by somebody on the dance floor, he never called police.
The Boston Licensing Board decides Thursday whether to punish the club for that - and for the alleged Aug. 10 attack by an 18-year-old Boston high-school student. The student, meanwhile, faces potential criminal charges for the incident.
Lou Delpidio, owner of the Guilt/Underbar clubs in the Theater District, reports he's changing the name of Underbar to Candibar just as soon as some fancy new LED lights arrive from their factory in Greece.
Delpidio told the Boston Licensing Board yesterday Underbar will remain basically the same, but that the lights, which "are on a ship right now" will change the look enough to warrant the name change.
A man who claimed a bouncer at a Theater District club grabbed him by the neck and threw him down stairs actually wound up at Tufts Medical Center with injuries caused by smashing his own head repeatedly into a wall after being ejected for inserting himself in an argument between two people he didn't even know, police say. Read more.