The Globe reports two East Boston boys, 5 and 8, were rushed to the hospital this afternoon with carbon-monoxide poisoning after they took refuge from the cold in a car with a blocked exhaust pipe.
Unlike two earlier incidents, which left a boy and a man dead, the two are expected to survive. Officials urged residents to make sure car exhausts are clear before getting into them for warmth while shoveling snow. In a statement, Mayor Menino said:
I'm also calling on residents to look out for your neighbors, especially those New Bostonians who have come to our city from warmer climates. Please reach out to these neighbors, and make sure they understand the dangers this much snowfall brings, and how quickly carbon monoxide can claim a life.
My heart goes out to the family who lost a loved one today. Our public health, public safety and public school officials are providing support to the victim's family. We are doing all we can to ensure the loss of life stops here, and ask everyone in our city to help us in that pursuit.
In the Boston Store:
RBONH12SETBBU NHL Team: Boston Bruins Features: -Ornaments.-Made of plastic.-Authentic NHL team...
$16.99 - Learn more / Buy
This high-quality art print reproduction boasts sharp detail and vivid imagery. Printed on heavy...
$24.99 - Learn more / Buy
2017 Calendar featuring beautiful full color photographed images for every month of the year....