One hundred years ago today, the clock inside the Custom House Tower began running. At exactly noon.
In 1950, the federal government replaced the mechanism up near the top of the tower with a new clock, built by E.Howard in Waltham. By the 1980s, though, the clock mechanisms had fallen apart. A key gear sat at ground level, broken beyond repair. Read more.