In the late 1800s, the merchant princes of Boston adorned their buildings with classical Greek and Roman symbols of successful seafaring commerce, such as Neptune's tridents and Mercury's caduceuses (Mercury being the god of trade and all).
And then, it stopped. Maybe it was the decline of Boston as a seaport, but whatever the reason, in the 20th century, financial firms took over... Read more
This print, from the BPL archives, shows a British steamer leaving Boston Harbor through ice, thanks to local merchants:
This print, representing the B & N. A Royal Mail steam ship Britannia, John Hewitt, commander, leaving her dock at East Boston on the 3d of February 1844 on her voyage to Liverpool, is respectfully dedicated by the publishers to the merchants of Boston who... Read more
The Supreme Judicial Court today updated the definition of "reasonable doubt" that Massachusetts judges have been reading to jurors since 1850, when it was first used in the case of a Harvard professor charged with murdering and dismembering a prominent Beacon Hill doctor.
The updating comes in a ruling on a man convicted of seven counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under... Read more
A 19-unit condo development proposed to replace an old horse-trolley barn between E. 5 and E. 6 streets in South Boston would come with a 33-lot parking garage, according to the developers' filing with the BRA.
Aidan Gregory Feeney and Brendan Feeney of Feeney Brothers Excavation want to replace commercial buildings at 815 E. 5 and 812 E. 6 streets with ten-unit and a nine-unit... Read more
Around 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 15, 1919, a large, poorly maintained tank full of molasses on a warm day burst, sending a huge wave of gooey death rampaging down Commercial Street, drowning or crushing 21 people and several horses and cats as it battered the supports of the el that ran down the street and knocked a neighboring fire station off its foundation.
As with... Read more
Associated Press reports on the contents of the metal box with contents dating to 1795, removed from the State House foundation.