PJ Maguire, who broke the original story about Locke being Over, reports tonight:
I just got off the phone with my friend, Jay Hajj, owner of Mike’s City Diner in the South End. Jay and two partners have signed an agreement to buy the venerable ‘Locke-Ober’ building on Winter Place in Downtown Boston. The sale includes the restaurant and its liquor license. Contrary to rumors that the treasured space would be gutted, the new owners fully intend to respect and preserve the rich, historic features and integrity of the first floor, and eventually open a new bar and restaurant in that space.
- The purchase should be finalized in early to mid-November.
- There are no plans to put a British Beer Company store, or any other 'chain' concept in the space.
- Opening a new restaurant in the space is at least a year away.
- Honduran mahogany lovers rejoice!!!
- Mike's City Diner will not be moving to 3 Winter Place...