1. I can not believe neither Pressley and Arroyo Jr have entered the contest as of yet. If either candidate enters or if they both do, I believe that both could make the finals finishing 1st and 2nd. For instance if both Pressley and Arroyo Jr entered the Mayor's race and they both made it to the Finals, (They finished 1st and 2nd respectively in the 2011 At-Large race with both beating Connolly who finished 3rd), Whoever lost would be the number 1 contender and favorite for the 7th Congressional District if Capuano runs for Governor as expected in 2014.
2. I felt that Tito Jackson missed out on a major opportunity to grab the pole position in this race by not running. If Tito ran, he could have won.
3. There will be a huge vote that comes out in the South Western side of the city with intense campaigning by Connolly, Consalvo, and Conley. These three could split up their base bigtime allowing none of them to even make the finals.
4. Walczak is a big problem for Walsh. Each live in Ward 13 Precinct 10. I don't know why Walczak left Carney Hospital last year only 14 months in the helm. Neither he nor Carney has gone public about the reasons for Walczak's short stay. This is a big problem for Walczak because voters may have some pause thinking how can he run a city if he had problems running a hospital. Walczak made need to get ahead of this story before political detractors begin a whisper campaign against him to slight him. On the other hand, Walsh will have to get over the stigma that is now attached to him for making a quarter of a million dollars a year as both a State Legislator and Secretary General of the Builders and Trades Union. $250,000/year definitely puts a person in the top 1%. Walsh will need to make sure that his rivals don't paint him as this and that he represents who he says he actually does, the regular union worker.
5. I do not believe that Walsh will have a monopoly on labor. If Arroyo Jr enters, he will straw labor support from Walsh with the SEIU and the Teachers Unions among others.
6. Do not count out Charles Clemons. Charles is the founder of Touch 106.1FM. He is 50 years old, has a beautiful wife who will be out campaigning with him, AND he has bigtime support within the Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan Community. If no major candidate of color emerges, Clemons could end up in the finals with some hard grassroots campaigning.
7. I understand that Will Dorcena is being discounted because he finished with 8000 votes in the 2011 Boston City Council At-Large Race. He's trying to pull off a "Kevin McCrae" by losing the At-Large race and then jumping into the mayor's contest. However with Consalvo leaving his District City Council Seat, Dorcena should really consider running for that open seat. He lives in Consalvo's district in Ward 18 Precinct 12 and if he worked hard he can win.
8. John Connolly looked good On The Record with Janet Wu this morning. John is intelligent and knows his issues. Whoever wins will be the one who understands the issues best and is able to most clearly explain their vision to the populace in simplist terms.
9. One last observation is that many talking heads in the media have suggested the possibility that John Fish should run for Mayor. If this was possible, he would make a strong candidate. However he lives in Milton. How do I know this? Well I visited him yesterday morning to introduce myself.