A Boston Municipal Court judge this morning ordered James Stumbo, 27, and Kevin Norton, 18, held without bail pending a Sept. 1 "dangerousness" hearing to determine whether they should be held without bail even longer on charges of illegal weapons and ammunition possession.
The ruling came at a hearing at which an assistant Suffolk County District Attorney said there was far more evidence of their danger to participants in a world Pokemon championship at the Hynes than the weapons-on-trunk Facebook page that had spread through social media yesterday.
In postings on Facebook, the two made references to Columbine, vowed "another Boston Massacre" and threatened "My AR 15 says you lose," Assistant DA Joseph Janezic said. When Norton was kicked out of particular Pokemon forum and the moderator refused to let him back in, he allegedly replied, "OK, that's fine, I will just shoot you on Friday."
The two showed up at the Pokemon competition at the Hynes on Thursday - to which they had been invited - but were barred by Hynes security and Boston Police, who had been alerted to the postings. Police seized their car, then arrested them Friday after they obtained a search warrant for it and found a 12-gauge Remington shotgun, a DPM5 Model AR-15 rifle with a high-capacity feeding device attached, 244 shotgun rounds and 40 AR-15 rounds.
Stumbo's attorney said police had no probable cause to arrest his client. He said the car was Norton's and that neither the car nor the weapons and ammunition were in his control. He said Stumbo should not be held without bail in part because he has no record, in part because he could have fled after police let him go on Thursday, but didn't.
Norton's lawyer, appointed by the court during the hearing, said his client had no record.
Neither man spoke during the hearing. Both still wore the clothes they were arrested in - Stumbo, a grayish T shirt and black basketball shorts with red striping, Norton in a sort of camo T shirt and black shorts.