The Red Sox yesterday won city permission to host eight concerts at Fenway Park this summer, starting with the Dead and Company on June 17 and 18.
The Red Sox wanted to host twelve concerts, but city licensing head Christine Pulgini said nope after a hearing last month at which Fenway residents and City Councilor Josh Zakim said they didn't sign up for lots of concerts at Fenway on top of 81 Sox home games.
Lots of concerts were "not part of the bargain when people came to the neighborhood," Zakim said. He and residents cited public safety in general and noise, public urination and trash as particular concerns.
Sox officials said they had worked closely with neighbors to minimize the impact of concerts and would continue to do so.
They'll have to start with the Dead concerts, which raised Fenway neighborhood hackles.
Sox officials said Dead-specific steps will include overnight policing of Sox-owned parking lots to keep people from camping there before concerts and special cleanup crews to rush to them after the concerts.
Also, the Sox will look at installing extra portable toilets in the park area, possibly in the area of the Victory Gardens, for Dead fans. Oh, and they'll have "heightened" social-media postings, announcements and signs asking Dead fans to "respect the neighborhood."
In addition to the Dead concerts, Fenway will also hold concerts by Florida Georgia Line on July 7, New Kids on the Block with Boyz II Men and Paula Abdul on July 8, James Taylor on Aug. 11, Billy Joel on Aug. 30 and and Lady Gaga on Sept. 1 and 2. Rejected were four additional dates in July and August.