Hey, there! Log in / Register

Careless smoker sparks fire at Brighton apartment building

Firefighters at 4 Vinal St. in Brighton

4 Vinal St. Photo by Eliot.

A fire in a courtyard at 4 Vinal St., off Allston St. around 6:45 a.m. sent residents out onto the street until firefighters knocked it down.

According to the Boston Fire Department:

Trash fire outside that extended into the first floor. Cause was careless disposal of smoking material. Damage estimate was $50,000.00. No injuries. 1 alarm fire.

DreamHaus of Mattel, who lives in the building, shows some of the damage and reports:

Heard a crashing sound that shook the apt. Then I saw the smoke.

Neighborhoods: 
Topics: 
Free tagging: 
Ad:

Comments

There were several fire trucks and other related vehicles heading down Cambridge Street towards Union Square when I was walking up to my bus stop around 7:15. They clearly called in equipment from farther away than the Union Square firehouse - that Ladder 26 truck in the photo comes from the Huntington Avenue firehouse near the MFA.

up
Voting closed 1

That explains the fire trucks blasting up Union St this morning. I'm used to the sirens by now, but I wish they'd leave the horn alone unless there's actual traffic.

up
Voting closed 0

You should hear how loud and disruptive it is when 20+ tons of engine flattens a car that didn't look when the light turned green.

up
Voting closed 0

Ladder 14 is in the back left, which is in Union Square and they have let my son climb all over.

up
Voting closed 0

Regarding careless disposal of smoking material, I mean. Luckily everybody got out alive, but still...why do people smoke when they live in such old buildings? It doesn't make sense, plus it's a fire hazard, to boot.

up
Voting closed 2

... are the #1 cause of fire in residential buildings. They are a threat to public health in more ways than one.

up
Voting closed 1

That's also part of what caused that deadly house fire in Allston four and a half years ago, on Linden Street, when Binland Lee, who slept in an attic bedroom, was trapped, had no way to get out, and died as a result.

up
Voting closed 3