DA: Cook used Sterno to burn Flames down

A private video company was able to recover images from a burned surveillance system that showed a cook using a can of Sterno to light up Flames, 663 Morton St. in Mattapan, early on Dec. 15, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports.

Byron Anthony Hewitt, 45, was arrested in March for the fire, which did an estimated $500,000 in damage to the Jamaican place - which remains shut. He was indicted earlier this month on a charge of arson by a Suffolk County grand jury.

According to the DA's office, images from the recovered video show:

Hewitt - an employee of eight years - enter the restaurant after it was closed for the night and spread blue gel from a Sterno cooking fuel can in a storage area containing flammable items, including napkins and supplies stored in cardboard boxes. He then used a lighter to set the gel on fire and confirmed that it was spreading before he exited the building.

Hewitt will be arraigned on Monday in Suffolk Superior Court, the DA's office reports.

Innocent, etc.

Neighborhoods: 

Topics: 

Comments

FLAMES IS THE NAME

By on

How ironic, and there food fell off long ago, "Only One" has the best food now, that is if you catch them early in the day when it's fresh.