Lisa Gualtieri photographically captured this freedom-seeking pachyderm this morning.
It is, of course, a statue of the college mascot, Jumbo, looking like he's making a run for it because of some construction fencing behind him.
P.T. Barnum, who was an early Tufts trustee, gave the stuffed remains of his famous circus elephant to the school after Jumbo was hit by a freight train in Canada and died, in 1885. The college displayed Jumbo's remains in Barnum Hall until the hall and what was left of Jumbo were destroyed in an electrical fire in 1975.