This 1923 aerial photo from the Boston Planning Commission shows the MDC's Calf Pasture sewage pumping station and some nearby gas tanks, Old Harbor and South Boston's City Point and Castle Island.
The pumping station still stands, and, in fact, is on the National Register of Historic Sites, although it was taken out of service in 1968.
Columbia Point, now home to a university, two museums and a housing complex, was originally known as Calf Pasture, because it's where Dorchester residents brought their cows to forage. The MDC built the pumping station in the 1890s as part of a then revolutionary regional sewage system.
From the Boston City Archives.