Hey, there! Log in / Register

Nurse helped keep man alive after he overdosed at Roslindale bar until first responders arrived with Narcan

A nurse was relaxing inside B.K.'s Pub, 4272 Washington St. in Roslindale, when she went out to the pub's small courtyard and found a man just lying on the ground, not breathing, turning purple.

As the bartender called 911, around 6:15 p.m. on July 17, the nurse began doing CPR on the man, and kept doing it for the ten minutes it took firefighters and paramedics to arrive and administer Narcan, which revived him, police and the bartender told the Boston Licensing Board at a hearing this morning.

Because the man collapsed from his apparent overdose on bar property, owner Bob Keith had to appear before the board, which will consider whether he could have done anything to prevent the incident.

The bartender said the man was a regular - as are most of the people who patronize the small tavern - but that she had not seen him in about four months. He downed a few beers, then seemed to go out to the patio to have a smoke. Not long after, the nurse, also a regular, found him unconscious and yelled for help. The bartender ran out back, saw what was happening and ran back inside to call 911.

The board decides what to do about the citation for the incident on Thursday.

Neighborhoods: 
Ad:

Comments

"to determine whether he could do anything to prevent the incident" response.

Perhaps it should be a requirement that all bars and restaurants must have a full time psychic on staff to predict exactly when these sort of things will happen so they can be prevented.

up
Voting closed 76

For this reason, signs “Restrooms for Customers Only” are plastered at the door of every bar/eatery in my hood. Still doesn’t stop this kind of tragedy. Recently had a conversation w/ a young college kid working behind the bar at local pub. He has to deal with this multiple x every week.

up
Voting closed 6

If this is happening multiple times a week in any establishment, seems like a good idea to obtain an AED and Narcan, and get staff trained up on how to use them.

up
Voting closed 5

Yeah because when you get a job slinging coffee, you should automatically be expected to be an EMT, too!

up
Voting closed 3

That's an excellent idea whose time has come and is long overdue. It should carried out not only in public establishments, but in subway stations, and private residences and buildings, as well.

up
Voting closed 2

the public didn't need to know that

up
Voting closed 5

... the no smoking regulation, he might have been found before he passed out and stopped breathing. The smoke maybe exacerbated his condition.
And no, you can’t smoke on outdoor patios. They are part of the work place.

up
Voting closed 4

It's the bar's fault this guy OD'd. God bless the nurse, but please don't blame the bar. And don't blame them for not having Narcan, either.

. If the bar had been enforcing the no smoking regulation

up
Voting closed 4

Or maybe, we could enforce the drugs are BAD thing?

Crazy idea, right?

up
Voting closed 7

and offer my thanks to the quick thinking nurse for saving the man's life.

up
Voting closed 16

Bravo!

up
Voting closed 4

This is why everyone should carry and know how to use Narcan. I believe it is free with every insurance plan. Talk to your local pharmacist and find out if you can pick some up. If you’re not comfortable carrying, drop them off with your local soup kitchen/food panty or shelter. Put the ability to save a life into the hands that need it the most. Teach the administration of Narcan to the girl/Boy Scouts. Teach it in High school health. Teach it to everyone because so many of our loved ones are dying everyday by ODing. #2069

up
Voting closed 1