Hey, there! Log in / Register

Developers propose expanding former South Boston church into 35 residential units

Developers who bought the former St. Vincent de Paul Church at E and West 3rd streets in South Boston say they will soon file plans to add a couple floors to the building to create a 35-unit residential building.

In a letter of intent filed with the BPDA this week, developers David Winick and David Matteo of Cedarwood Development they will keep the church's current facades in place while adding enough floors to create a six-story building.

They say they would also build a garage that could hold 35 cars, most in a "stacker" system. The letter signals they will shortly file detailed plans for the project.

Winick and Matteo paid the archdiocese $6.1 million for the church, which was opened in 1899 and then shut in 2015 when pieces of the ceiling began falling to the floor.

354 E St. letter of intent.

Neighborhoods: 
Topics: 

Ad:
Like the job UHub is doing? Consider a contribution. Thanks!

Comments

After a full renovation by the Building Trades Unions, including a new roof, they abruptly closed the doors when some plaster fell off the ceiling saying the building was unsafe and was in danger of imminent collapse. Years later nothing happened with the exception of selling the structure to a developer. Evidently can’t be a house of worship but can be condos.

up
Voting closed 14

That isn't a "scam" it's just the reality of the current financial state of the catholic church.

up
Voting closed 8

The City uses a default year of 1899 for any building built in the 1800's that they don't have documentation on for a year of construction.

St. Vincent's was actually built on Fort Hill. Fort Hill, what is now the area around International Place, in the mid-1800's was not exactly Elysium in terms of residential areas. It was filled with those immigrants that people like to rail on about for some reason.

Reportedly the church was built sometime in the 1850's, which makes sense from its architectural style.

The church was moved stone by stone to South Boston with money supplied by Andrew Carney, the person whom the hospital in Dorchester in named for (which was originally in South Boston and is now part of Marian Manor) in 1872.

up
Voting closed 12