Finally! The MetroWest Daily News posts video of the sausage-and-bacon-throwing woman in the FramingHAM police station last month - as an intrepid reporter took it all in and slowly and methodically got out his phone to document the carnage.
Once police established who their suspect was for a stabbing at Burke High School on Friday, they didn't have much trouble finding him: They just looked for a signal from the GPS braclet he already had on his ankle, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports.
The 16-year-old, not named because of his age, was arraigned in Dorchester Municipal Court yesterday on charges of being delinquent by way of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
Judge Michael Coyne imposed $1,000 bail, but declined a request by prosecutors to lock him up for allegedly violating his bail conditions on earlier, unrelated charges that include assault with a dangerous weapon, breaking and entering and larceny, the DA's office reports.
Coyne also ordered the youth to wear a GPS device - which he was already doing because of the earlier cases.
According to the DA's office, the kid and a 17-year-old student at the Burke got into an argument out behind the school around 4:15 p.m. on Friday, which the kid brought to a sudden halt by plunging a knife into the other teen's back. A family member rushed the teen to Boston Medical Center. The DA's office adds:
Officers seized a knife from the juvenile, which has been submitted for testing along with his clothing and the clothing worn by the victim when he was stabbed.
The old asthma-inhaler factory on Lagrange Street that caught fire in September had a water pipe burst today, sending a flood of water onto Lagrange Street, most of which went into a fortuitously placed storm drain but some of which just froze on the street and sidewalk.
As of 4:30 p.m., police still had Lagrange northbound shut as a city DPW crew worked to shut off the main feeding the factory.
Two East Boston developers want to build 33 condos on what is now an overgrown old gas-station property at 320 Maverick St..
In their filing with the BRA, Joseph Ricupero and John Zirpolo said they would build 23 two-bedroom condos and 10 one-bedroom units, and provide 32 deeded parking spaces.
Four of the units would be set aside as "affordable;" the rest would be sold at market rates.
The top floor will consist of penthouse units with private decks looking out over the downtown skyline, rather than the neighboring Logan Airport - and will shield the neighborhood from the site of a "garish looking parking facility" on the Logan side of the property line.
In their filing, the developers write:
Jeffries Point has had a recent influx of young professional residents that are looking to live in the neighborhood, bringing a need for more market rate housing projects. This section of East Boston is attractive for folks commuting to work, due to its close proximity to public transportation at Maverick Square Train Station and to the Maverick Square business district.
The Proposed Project is located within walking distance of the area’s most utilized amenities. The site is less than one block from the East Boston Health Center and within walking distance to the East Boston Greenway and many neighborhood parks. The location of this site is ideal for the resident commuter or working professional because of its close proximity to public transit, neighborhood shopping, residential housing, and open space.
Lawyers for the owners of the Lower Mills Pub on Dorchester Avenue are hoping the Boston Licensing Board gives them a couple months to unravel a tangled skein of legal issues left when longtime co-owner Nicholas Byrne died after a long illness five years ago, so that they can sell the bar to a prominent Boston restaurant operator.
At a hearing before the board today, attorneys for the Byrne family and co-owner Jeremiah Nash said they have settled a Suffolk Superior Court lawsuit Nash filed against the family and now want to settle other legal issues preventing the sale, which includes the fact that the bar has not legally had a manager since Byrne died in 2010 - and that it owes Boston roughly $80,000 in back property taxes dating to 2004.
The lawyers said that after Byrne died, without a will, the family just continued to operate the bar - without ever removing his name as manager from its annual license renewal applications to the board or that of Nash's as president of the corporation that technically owned the bar even though the state had dissolved it in 2007.
The board summoned the owners to a hearing today to determine just who owns the establishment after the matter had been "brought to the board's attention." Board Chairwoman Christine Pulgini declined to say how the board learned of the issue, but said "My problem is that someone's been operating that bar essentially illegally, so what do we do?"
The attorneys accused an unsuccessful bidder for the property of having ratted them out to the board in an attempt to scuttle the sale - for which they had hoped to get a purchase-and-sale agreement signed this week.
Nash's attorney, Joseph Brodigan, pleaded with the board to formally continue its hearing for eight weeks so that he and Byrne attorney Lawrence Feeney could resolve all the outstanding issues.
Brodigan said there's no harm to the public to let the bar continue to operate for another eight weeks, because the bar has been around for 35 years now with only minor transgressions on its record. Forcing it to shut now would jeopardize the sale, harming the Byrne family and unfairly hurting Nash, who, despite having a 50% interest in the bar, was not involved in its operation and so would be an innocent victim of all the legal issues, Brodigan said.
"If you suspend them, our sale is going down the drain," Feeney said. "A lot of people are going to suffer needlessly."
The board decides Thursday whether to continue its hearing for eight weeks.
UPDATE: Photos released of woman who might have used some of the credit cards in the stolen wallets.
Boston Police think they're closing in on a woman they say has been lifting wallets out of purses in Newbury Street and Boylston Street restaurants for the past year.
Det. Daniel MacDonald told the Boston Licensing Board said the woman goes into a restaurant at lunchtime, looks around for pocketbooks left on tables or slung on the backs of chairs, then quickly lifts a wallet and flees.
"It's widespread," he said.
It's gotten so bad that Stephanie's on Newbury has installed "purse hooks" under its bar counter so that female patrons can hang their purses there instead of on their chair backs. In warmer months, managers who spotted women with purses on their chairs on the patio discretely told the patrons to stop that. The restaurant is currently closed for renovations, part of which now includes the installation of surveillance cameras, unusual for a restaurant, as opposed to a bar or club.
One manager said there were a couple of cases last year where patrons only discovered their wallets were missing when they reached for them to pay their bills.
Stephanie's managers appeared before the board along with MacDonald to answer a complaint from one theft victim, who claimed she initially did not report her loss to police because a Stephanie's manager told her not to because police wouldn't do anything. In fact, when she did report the theft, MacDonald launched an investigation.
Stephanie's lawyer, Karen Simao - who admitted to slinging her purse over the back of her chair as well - strongly denied the accusation and provided the board with a log of all the times a manager called District D-4 - and sometimes a particular detective directly - when a patron reported a wallet theft last year.
The manager who initially dealt with the woman whose complaint led to the hearing said that, in fact, he offered to call police but that she was the one who said not to bother. Simao said the woman's account had several inconsistencies - she claimed the incident happened on a slow Saturday, which Simao said was impossible because Stephanie's is always packed on Saturdays.
The woman, who lives in Maine, did not attend today's hearing.
The board decides tomorrow whether to sanction Stephanie's and, if so, how.
A woman swearing like a sailor, the man who insulted her and the glass of wine she threw in response earned Papa Razzi, 157 Newbury St., a formal hearing before the Boston Licensing Board today.
According to both police and the restaurant manager who tried to quell the commotion around 9:10 p.m. on Dec. 3, a woman was loudly swearing about something around 9 p.m.
Another diner rose from his table and asked her to keep quiet. When she denied being loud, he called her "an ignorant bitch," at which point the manager came over to separate the two. The manager told the board she managed to get them apart and asked both if they'd like to move elsewhere in the dining room. The man apologized for his choice of words, replied he was just going to leave and, as he walked past the woman's table, "she threw a glass of red wine at him," a police report states. The manager said the glass was "full." The man was not injured, but left with his clothes soaked in red wine.
The board decides tomorrow whether the restaurant should be sanctioned for the incident and, if so, how.