The Burlington Fire Department reports a worker at Buffalo Wild Wings, 15 South Ave. died this evening after exposure to fumes from a cleaning agent in the kitchen and that ten other people - both workers and patrons - checked themselves into hospitals for evaluation.
The department reports firefighters responded shorlly after 5:30 p.m. on a report of "a chemical reaction in the kitchen area:"
Upon arrival, firefighters came upon a male employee who was suffering from nausea after it is believed that he breathing in fumes from the cleaning agent. The man was taken by ambulance to the hospital in serious condition and later died.
Firefighters evacuated the building and a Tier 1 hazardous material response was called for.
The department says there is no threat to the public, but that it ordered the restaurant shut to allow for both an investigation and a thorough decontamination of the kitchen.
The department did not identify the chemical, but the Globe reported it was Super 8, a bleach-based sanitizer.