At a City Hall press conference this morning, Mayor Walsh said fireworks complaints in May were up 2,300% over last May. He then emphasized that was not a typo - the city got 650 fireworks complaints last month, compared to just 27 a year ago.
Walsh said police are doing what they can to seize fireworks, but he pleaded with people who are setting them off to think twice, even if they don't care that they're illegal here.
People are frightened, people are losing sleep, pets and babies are terrified, veterans and others with PTSD are experiencing real harm, he said. "Think about your community, and stop it!"
Walsh added that we can't blame New Hampshire for all of the sudden influx of loud explosives - some of the fireworks seized in recent days by police aren't for sale in the Granite State.
Walsh then recalled his days as a youth, when you could just go down to Haymarket to buy fireworks - and you wouldn't start setting them off until July 3, unlike today, when Haymarket has resumed its role as a place to just buy produce and the nightly barrages begin in May.
City councilor to host forum on fireworks trauma on Thursday.