The Boston Fire Department posts a photo of an illegal propane barbecue on somebody's balcony - you know, like the one that caused a four-alarm fire in Charlestown a few weeks back.
Ed. note: BFD doesn't identify the location, but thanks to Casey Bayer, Brian Ploetz and Norman da Pug, we know it's 15 N. Beacon St. in Union Square.
Steve MacDonald from BFD e-mails to report that a) Yes, that was 15 N. Beacon St. and b) The grill is gone now, because the department served an "abatement" on the building, basically an order telling the landlord to get the damn thing out of there.
MacDonald, who lives in Brighton and goes by the building every day, adds there were actually several such grills at that location that the departmnent ordered removed, All but one, up on the seventh floor, are now gone.
So because a grill caused one fire awhile back, NOBODY gets to have them?
Might as well ban toasters, gas stoves, ovens, and all electric outlets.
Stupid nanny policies.
Yes. Obviously they created the policy after a single grill caused only one fire.
No, because grills are especially capable of causing fires when left unattended on wooden balconies and because those balconies end up being on multi-level buildings in densely populated areas...nobody gets to have them.
This isn't the same as banning 4 ounces of shampoo on airplanes. This one has a far longer track record of being a problem AND having a huge potential cost to property and life if something goes wrong.
the dangers of moving/keeping propane tanks inside a building.
Could be wrong, but I'm guessing the grill is a small, portable grill with the 1 pound propane, screw-in type of propane tank. These are very safe. Just a guess.
Frankly, I would be equally (or even more) concerned with smokers in the building.
Adam posted a link to the picture. It's a 5 gallon propane tank. Not so safe...especially put on a "balcony" (look at the picture and you'll see why I put it in quotes) that's only as big as the grill itself...which means they're accessing it from inside the apartment...with the curtains right next to it when it's open. Nevermind that half of the smoke/heat/grease from the grill had to be coming right back into that doorway...gross.
About the only good thing going for it is that it's a cement "balcony" slab.
OK, I'm 0 for 2 in my latest guesses.
Thanks, I missed the link to the pic (though it couldn't have been more obvious) - that is a bit scary.
Being a year-round grill guy myself, I sympathize with not being able to use a grill, but public safety does have a priority. I used to walk up and down 3 flights with a portable grill so I could enjoy grilled stuff.
That four-alarm fire in Charlestown was last month.
Wasn't the regulation about no gas or charcoal grills above the ground floor already in place for quite some time? I didn't think the Charlestown fire was the cause of this so much as another reason why the ordinance exists.
The number of fires is at least 2 and is probably far more: the one I remember was a grill that exploded on a 2nd floor deck. The explosion destroyed a house. In that destruction a family dog was burned alive. Sufficient reason to have this nanny policy?
Or perhaps you are the fool who ignored the order of a condo association's insurance company to remove the grill. The grill was not removed and the insurance was canceled.
I hope for your sake that you are truly not as arrogant as you sound. Your life might easily have terminated much earlier if not for some of the nanny policies.
While I agree that sometimes we go too far toward trying to control our environments going the other direction, the direction of no regulation as espoused by Tea Partiers etc., amounts to criminal negligence.
That building is practically visible from the apron of Engine 41!
BFD posted another violation, this one being the charcoal variety. Anyone knows where this is?