Never leave a towel next to a coffeepot
The Boston Fire Department reports a two-alarm fire on Dartmouth Street started when a hot coffeepot ignited a towel shortly after midnight.
The fire was confined to a single fifth-floor condo at 271 Dartmouth St., but other residences sustained significant smoke and water damage, the department reports. Residents who couldn't find another place to stay were able to stay warm in one of two MBTA buses kept running outside the BPL main library on Boylston Street. The Red Cross was called in to help 25 residents find alternate housing until repairs can be made.
Damage was estimated at $1 million.