The woman who loves murals

WBUR interviews Christine Verret, who took photos of hundreds of murals in the Boston area, with her son Adrien, for a new book on, well, Boston murals.

“We’d leave 5:30 or 6 a.m. We’d shower the night before,” she says. “We’d always be back 9 or 9:30 a.m. We took all these pictures when everybody was sleeping. … In the wintertime, we’d leave and it would still be nighttime.”

Ad:

Neighborhoods: 

Free tagging: 

Comments

This is cool

By on

I like how she and her son did this project together.

up
Voting is closed. 1

Taking Showers the Night Before

By on

What was I thinking?!? I leave for work at 5:30 or 6 to get to the construction site by 7. I take a shower the night before because, well, it's a construction site. And i the wintertime it's still nighttime when I leave and depending upon overtime and how far the job is from my house, it would close to nighttime when I got home. I should have taken pictures of murals. Or of all the thousands of pick up trucks and cargo vans that out at that time of morning when everyone else is sleeping.

up
Voting is closed. 1

You seem nice

By on

What was that rant all about?

up
Voting is closed. 0

Photograph graffiti !

By on

Graffiti photographers' art document the most temporary artworks. Photographing graffiti is important, particularly documenting the most temporary graffiti ! Graffiti of these times represent the culture/style. In the future it will have great interest to history enthusiasts.

up
Voting is closed. 0

For the most part....nahhh.

By on

IMHO, 97% of graffiti isn't worth saving (or even having been created in the first place.) The exciting part of the other valuable 3% is that it is temporary and thus should be appreciated today, as it may be gone tomorrow.

up
Voting is closed. 0

The woman who loves murals

By on

She's not photographing graffiti, she's only focused on murals.

up
Voting is closed. 0

Sounds like

By on

she was a bit disappointed that none of the murals 'round here were making a political statement.

I going to make the assumption that her son really wanted to tag along and that she asked him (and not required of him) if he would like to get up at 5:30-6:00am in all seasons to be photographed in front of a mural. The interview does not mention his feelings on the subject. As a co-author of the mural book one would think he would get a line or two in.

up
Voting is closed. 0

Really?

By on

she was a bit disappointed that none of the murals 'round here were making a political statement.

Really? I'm looking out my window at a mural titled "Justice for All".

up
Voting is closed. 0

Boston Murals

By on

Hi there! I’m Christine, the author of the book. You make very good comments about my son. I am a single mom so when we started he was 9 and I couldn’t leave him home alone. He got paid $2 and then $3 a picture, filled his bank account. It became a routine getting up early, attached with the excitement as to how many murals we would get that morning, list on hand from my research. We napped in afternoons. My son wants to do another book. He has no interest promoting and avoids interviews! Write me if you want to discuss more! Thanks for the interests! and yes, these are ‘legal’ murals, not sneaked graffitis!

up
Voting is closed. 0