The city of Boston has submitted applications to the FCC for two low-power FM radio stations, one broadcasting municipal information from high atop that round senior-citizens building in Egleston Square, the other a more educational station at East Boston High School.
The Friends of Meridian Street reports cab drivers continue to act like the bypass built for them to avoid local streets continues to go largely unused:
It's 4am and still a steady stream of empty Logan Airport taxis using Meridian Street and East Boston public streets to Chelsea instead of the multi-million dollar Coughlin Bypass Road built with taxpayers money specifically to keep commercial... Read more
Transit Police report arresting Jeffrey Phillips, 29, on a charge of indecent assault and battery for an incident around 5:35 p.m. at the Maverick T stop.
Police say Phillips groped a woman getting on a bus at the station. Even as she reported the incident, Phillips continued boarding - police say officers found him in a seat on the bus.
He's scheduled for arraignment... Read more
A South End man who was showing off to friends by spinning his wheels and speeding through a red light in East Boston early Sunday found himself in a bit of trouble after a State Trooper who watched the whole thing stopped him for the traffic violation - and then found drugs and a loaded gun with an obliterated serial number - the Suffolk County... Read more
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission says the folks behind Suffolk Downs are fine, upstanding people and can proceed with their application for a billion-dollar casino project on the East Boston/Revere line.
In a ruling released today, the commission did say Suffolk Downs will have to propose a new operator to replace Caesars Entertainment and do a better job of vetting that company first.
The... Read more
The morning starts with a dead train at Wellington on the Orange Line, a dead Green Line trolley somewhere on Huntington or South Huntington and a dead train outbound at Maverick on the Blue Line (say, aren't those the T's newest and freshest subway trains?).
In one of their final debates, mayoral candidates John Connolly and Marty Walsh clashed on negative campaigning and negotiating with city unions, but otherwise continued to push similar ideas for a post-Menino world.
Both candidates, for example, said they would return vocational training to all city high schools, would make it a priority to find a qualified minority candidate for police commissioner and work to... Read more
Suffolk Downs officials said today they were shocked to learn of the issues raised by a state investigation into operations at their proposed casino operator earlier this month - especially after learning state investigators had started asking questions about them several months earlier.
Meanwhile, officials said they are talking to a number of new possible casino operators, but can't guarantee they'll have one selected by... Read more
Around 6:10 p.m., Stanley Staco reports.
A disgusted citizen reports from Orleans Street in East Boston:
Globe Direct mailers strewn across the sidewalk, picture does not illustrate the dozens of plastic wrapped advertisements littering the entire sidewalk block. These mailings promote littering and are an environmental hazard.
UPDATE: The city reports:
Ticket was issued on 10-25-13 by officer clougher.
The state Gaming Commission today released a redacted copy of the 558-page investigative report that led Suffolk Downs to drop Caesars Entertainment as manager of its proposed casino last week.
In addition to concerns about possible Russian-mob ties to an investor in a company with which Caesars was doing business on a Nevada project and one Caesars executives past in Internet gambling,... Read more
Several times around 7:45 p.m. at 106 Falcon St. The victim walked to Webster Street in Jeffries Point. His injuries are not considered life threatening.
In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission today, Caesars Entertainment said Massachusetts gaming investigators raised red flags over three issues related to its proposed involvement in the Suffolk Downs project: One executive's past "employment by public companies in the internet gaming industry," the company's overall financial health, but most important, a "business relationship related to a license agreement for branding of a... Read more
The Globe reports Secretary of State William Galvin says East Boston and Revere residents will vote Nov. 5 on whether to approve a Suffolk Downs casino even if Suffolk Downs doesn't have a new manager for the facility in place by then.
On Friday, Suffolk Downs said it was booting Caesars because of concerns raised in a state report due out on Wednesday.
Over... Read more
Unless, of course, somebody at the gaming commission leaks a copy of its Caesars report to the Globe first. In a statement today, the commission has this to say about the report by its investigators that caused Suffolk Downs to decide not to have Caesars run its proposed casino:
Due to the content of recent media reports and the impending Host Community Agreement referenda... Read more
The announcement Friday night that Caesars Entertainment is withdrawing its stake in the Suffolk Downs effort to secure a casino license has been met with shock and wonder.
The shock is simple - how could a giant, worldwide company like Caesars fail to meet or even to exceed the application standards set by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission when it operates under the stringent laws... Read more
Nothing like a little Friday-evening bombshell: Suffolk Downs is giving casino giant Caesars the boot, just weeks before East Boston voters are supposed to decide whether to approve the idea of a $1-billion resort casino next to the racetrack.
In a letter to the casino operator (attached below), Suffolk Downs COO Chip Tuttle said an investigation by the state Gaming Commission's Investigations and Enforcement Bureau... Read more