By adamg on Mon, 09/30/2019 - 10:55pm
The Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology announced today it has purchased the former Harrison Supply Co. site at 1011 Harrison Ave., off Melnea Cass Boulevard, to create its new home, one that will include "an advanced manufacturing center and walk-in optical shop" among its other features.
The school, which grants two-year degrees in technical trades, and with a history that dates to a bequest by its namesake - matched with a grant by Andrew Carnegie at the turn of the 20th century - will pay for the new 50,000 building by selling off its current building on Berkeley Street in the South End.
The institute hopes to move into its new building in the fall of 2021. It will continue to use its Berkeley Street building until then.