UPDATE: Bail set at $1,000.
A New Hampshire 16-year-old could be brought to Boston face arraignment by the end of today on charges he threatened to "kill everyone" at bars in Dorchester and downtown, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office reports.
Evidence gathered by investigators on the smartphone-based spoofing app the kid allegedly used suggests he may have made threatening calls or sent threatening texts to more than just dBar in Dorchester and the Alley Bar downtown earlier this month, but that they were the only ones to report them to police, the DA's office says.
If detectives find additional bars who acknowledge receiving threats, the teen could face additional charges, the DA's office says. When he does arrive in Boston, he will be arraigned on charges of being delinquent for delinquency for threatening to use deadly weapons, threatening to do bodily harm, and a civil rights violation for calls made to the two bars, which have large LGBTQ clienteles.
According to the DA's office, the teen tried to cover his tracks by using an online system to mask his location, but failed rather spectacularly - detectives had enough evidence just four days after the second call to obtain an arrest warrant for him - which is how they suspect he may have targeted other bars as well:
The prosecutors and police detectives investigating the threats believe the calls were not made using a traditional cell phone number, which would have been linked with subscriber information identifying the phone’s owner. Instead, the evidence suggests, they were placed through a smartphone app that allows the user to make phone calls and send text messages through wireless internet.
Investigators identified the phone number assigned to the app and obtained the user name, email address, and alternate phone number that were entered when it was first installed. In the days that followed, they undertook extensive efforts to identify the person who created the account and determine whether he or she was the same individual who made the threatening calls.
By following a trail of defunct email addresses and reassigned phone numbers, investigators established that the juvenile had first installed and used the app on April 7, 2016. By checking the call records associated with his account, they established that the app had been used to send and receive dozens of calls and text messages to and from one of the juvenile’s close family members at around the same time as calls to two bars that reported telephoned threats to “kill everyone” and “shoot everyone in the bar” on the evenings of Nov. 9 and 10.